Mid-Fleet Performance Sailing 1
Our Mid-fleet Performance 1 course is the perfect next step for recent graduates of our LTS, or for sailors looking for whats next. This course is taught on 2 platforms, the J80 and the Pearson 26.
The J80 – known for its speed, grace and simplicity – was built for 3 things: leisurely cruising with friends, performance racing, and good old fashioned fun on the water. Our Performance Sailing courses are designed to give sailors a taste of all three.
The Pearson – a welcoming and forgiving vessel designed for in-shore cruising is the perfect stepping stone towards larger cruising boats.
The first part of the Performance Sailing series is focused on advanced boat handling and sail trim topics, which are ideal for sailors looking to raise their skills and confidence to the next level. In addition to skill-building, these courses can be helpful for those working on a Green Flag rating or preparing for a Mid-Fleet cruising checkout sail.
Performance Sailing 1 curriculum includes:
- The finer points of boat handling: how to use crew weight to your advantage, reduce rudder drag, roll tack and jibe, etc.
- Advanced sail trim: how, when and why to use the vang, outhaul, cunningham, traveler, backstay, and other sail controls to control the shape and maximize the performance of your sails.
- A review of reefing, docking, and crew overboard recovery methods.
- Docking under Power
- Using a roller-furler
- Learn to Sail (or similar experience)
- Yellow flag certification
Performance Sailing 1 is a one-day clinic that typically runs over one Saturday from 10 AM to 4:30 PM with a 30 minute lunch break.
Recommended next steps:
Things to note:
Mid-Fleet performance 2 is STRONGLY recommended for anyone purchasing the Mid-Fleet cruising membership.
Performance Sailing 1 is a 1-day, 6-hour clinic. It does not cover the use of a spinnaker, which is the focus of Performance Sailing 2. Though it may help to prepare for a J80 checkout, this clinic does not take the place of it; J80 members will need to schedule this separately. A J80 membership is not required to take this clinic but would be necessary to reserve and skipper a J80 outside of course hours.